About the Department
The Department of Microbiology was established in the year 1994 and M.Sc – Applied Microbiology was started in the year 1997. Research course M.Phil – Microbiology was started in the year 2013 and PhD. – Microbiology in the year 2014. So far more than 650 UG graduates and 220 PG graduates were produced in this department. We are organizing and participating in various National Environmental Awareness Campaigns (sponsored by the Ministry of Environmental and Forest, New Delhi) every year in our college.
The department also organized National seminars and workshops every year. It is to provide quality education to our students and we are inculcating the science knowledge to them.
Our department of Microbiology occupies a prominent and paramount place in this institution. It is well equipped, well furnished and fully-fledged both in faculty and infrastructure facilities for UG, PG, M.Phil and PhD levels. The glory of the department is evidenced by producing 17 University Rank Holders so far.
1. Starting of the College: 1994
2. Year of introduction of Under-Graduate course: B.Sc (Microbiology)-1994
3. Year of introduction of Post-Graduate course: M.Sc (Applied Microbiology) -1997
4. Year of introduction of full-time research: M.Phil (Microbiology) – 2013
5. Year of introduction of full-time research: Ph.D (Microbiology) – 2014
6. Number of Faculty sanctioned: 7
The mission of the Department of Microbiology is to provide:
- Fundamental research training for undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral students who will become future leaders in science, medicine, and industry.
- A learning environment that excites and informs undergraduate majors and non-majors about microbiology and the many ways that it is relevant to everyday life.
- A service for a society that requires expert advice about microorganisms and the roles they play in our health, economy, and sustainability of our natural resources.
- Research that advances the frontiers of knowledge in the field of microbiology
The aim of the undergraduate degree in Microbiology is to make students knowledgeable about the various basic concepts in a wide-ranging context which involve the use of knowledge and skills of Microbiology. Their understanding, knowledge and skills in Microbiology need to be developed through a thorough teaching-learning process in the class, practical skills through the laboratory work, their presentation and articulation skills, exposure to industry, and interaction with industry experts.
The postgraduate program in Applied Microbiology is the master’s level of college or university degree in the country as in several other parts of the world. After obtaining this degree, a microbiologist may enter into the job market or opt for undertaking further higher studies in the subject. After graduation, the students may join the industry, academia, and public health and play their role as microbiologists in a useful manner contributing their role in the development of the welfare society. Thus the undergraduate level degree in microbiology must prepare the students for all these objectives. Thus the LOCF curriculum developed has a very wide range covering all aspects of Microbiology with reasonable depth of knowledge and skills so to as to diversify them in various specialties of the subject and play their role professionally as expected of them. It is also imperative that microbiologists are evaluated in a manner appropriate to assess their proper development as microbiologists.
There is vast scope in the field of microbiology due to the advancement in the field of science and technology.
The scope in this field is immense due to the involvement of microbiology in many fields like medicine, pharmacy, diary, industry, clinical research, water industry, agriculture, chemical technology and nanotechnology.
After graduation the students may join industry, academia, and public health and play their role as microbiologists in a useful manner contributing their role in the development of the welfare society.
- B.Sc – Microbiology
- M.Sc – Applied Microbiology
- M.Phil – Microbiology
- Ph.D – Microbiology [Full Time]